3.3.13

binary


LIFE
The wind that blows up from the midnight valley is warm and smells of honeysuckle; the stars are glowing pale like pencil shavings. Oh my sweet Carolina, welcome to the velvet times, the ferns and bees, the driving with the windows down, the molasses months of lemonade, the sugared times, the candied hours, crisp and spicy sweet.
Welcome to Graceland; welcome to the battlefield; welcome to the age of innocence and the shedding of guilt. Welcome to the afternoons of keeping secrets and the evenings of sharing them, the mystery of bruises, the reinvention of the balcony and its bars, the smoky blue view.
Come down to the riverside, and welcome it yourself: set down your sword, beat it into a spoon, and eat of the honey tree. The bees are baring their teeth and drawing near only to return home, singing through the cemetery, speaking to the tombstones, this great cloud of witnesses—the ground thrums with their heartbeats, for we will all be changed.

DEATH
When my grandfather died, he died slowly, as his body devoured itself. Grandpa lost his hair to chemotherapy, and he began rearranging the living room of his farmhouse every night like an auditorium, preparing to deliver lectures and speeches to empty rooms. Every day he seemed less like himself, as if parts of him were being shed like yellow leaves falling from a tree as winter arrives. Death does not occur on one single day, but across weeks or months. It’s the slow fading of a life, a grey walk toward surrender. And after death, the memories live on; the mind forgets, loses its place in time. Our landlady in our last house in Kosovo kept all her dead husband’s things in my bedroom: his shoes under my bed, his starched Yugoslav army uniforms crowded into my closet, his papers and passports and even a half-drunk cup of tea, sugared over and thick in the desk drawer. I felt like I was sleeping in a tomb, but now, looking back, I understand the haunting. Even three months after my father’s death, I dream that he is alive, and when I wake up and remember myself, he dies again. I lose him again every morning.
When I was a child, Dad used to tell me when he shaved off his mustache that he had rolled it up inside his ear, like a striped awning rolled up above a shop. As his mustache grew back, he let me crank an imaginary handle on the side of his head, rolling it back out of his ear. In childhood, things wax and wane with ease, like flowers that bloom in the spring, wither with winter, and blossom again when the sun returns. I would give anything to sit beside those flowers again, beside the sunflowers and poppies in our Ferizaj garden, drinking sweet çaj with lemon, sitting beside my father as he practiced his Albanian on our wrinkled landlords, watching dusk settle in the garden’s corners and curl up like a cat beneath the apricot trees. But those times have faded away, never to flower again.