8.6.12

the broken lock: 395


the crowds cheer for malcolm x,
the last year’s neighbours
holler and scream
as he speaks on the teevee screen.

“down with the white devils”
jesus was a black man.

white bitch, what the hell you
think you doin’ in our grocery store,
white cunt, snow white,
what the fuck, baby,
you got a problem with me?
you got a problem with talkin’ to me?
prettiest blue eyes i ever seen.

malcolm, your boulevard is one
block over one
block up
from my house
from my neighbours in their house

child, you don’t talk to her,
you don’t ever talk to that white girl

hey girl, hey snow white,
why you walkin’ away from me?
you think you can turn your back on me?

malcolm, i forgot what it was
to be hated until i heard them
chanting your name.
to be hated and afraid,
and afraid of my own hate,
planted, growing, watered
freely every day.
but it’s bed-stuy,
do or die.